[Crash-utility] uniquely identifying KDUMP files that originate from QEMU

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 14:09:34 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: HATAYAMA Daisuke <d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com>
> To: ptesarik at suse.cz
> Cc: lersek at redhat.com, kexec at lists.infradead.org
> Subject: Re: uniquely identifying KDUMP files that originate from QEMU
>
> From: Petr Tesarik <ptesarik at suse.cz>
> Subject: Re: uniquely identifying KDUMP files that originate from QEMU
> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:09:13 +0100
>
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:22:52 +0100
> > Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> (Note: I'm not subscribed to either qemu-devel or the kexec list; please
> >> keep me CC'd.)
> >>
> >> QEMU is able to dump the guest's memory in KDUMP format (kdump-zlib,
> >> kdump-lzo, kdump-snappy) with the "dump-guest-memory" QMP command.
> >>
> >> The resultant vmcore is usually analyzed with the "crash" utility.
> >>
> >> The original tool producing such files is kdump. Unlike the procedure
> >> performed by QEMU, kdump runs from *within* the guest (under a kexec'd
> >> kdump kernel), and has more information about the original guest kernel
> >> state (which is being dumped) than QEMU. To QEMU, the guest kernel state
> >> is opaque.
> >>
> >> For this reason, the kdump preparation logic in QEMU hardcodes a number
> >> of fields in the kdump header. The direct issue is the "phys_base"
> >> field. Refer to dump.c, functions create_header32(), create_header64(),
> >> and "include/sysemu/dump.h", macro PHYS_BASE (with the replacement text
> >> "0").
> >>
> >> http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=dump.c;h=9c7dad8f865af3b778589dd0847e450ba9a75b9d;hb=HEAD
> >>
> >> http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=include/sysemu/dump.h;h=7e4ec5c7d96fb39c943d970d1683aa2dc171c933;hb=HEAD
> >>
> >> This works in most cases, because the guest Linux kernel indeed tends to
> >> be loaded at guest-phys address 0. However, when the guest Linux kernel
> >> is booted on top of OVMF (which has a somewhat unusual UEFI memory map),
> >> then the guest Linux kernel is loaded at 16MB, thereby getting out of
> >> sync with the phys_base=0 setting visible in the KDUMP header.
> >>
> >> This trips up the "crash" utility.
> >>
> >> Dave worked around the issue in "crash" for ELF format dumps -- "crash"
> >> can identify QEMU as the originator of the vmcore by finding the QEMU
> >> notes in the ELF vmcore. If those are present, then "crash" employs a
> >> heuristic, probing for a phys_base up to 32MB, in 1MB steps.
> >>
> >> Alas, the QEMU notes are not present in the KDUMP-format vmcores that
> >> QEMU produces (they cannot be),
> >
> > Why? Since KDUMP format version 4, the complete ELF notes can be stored
> > in the file (see offset_note, size_note fields in the sub-header).
> >

> Yes, the QEMU notes is present in kdump-compressed format. But
> phys_base cannot be calculated only from qemu-side. We cannot do more
> than the efforts crash utility does for workaround. So, the phys_base
> value in kdump-sub header is now designed to have 0 now.
>
> Anyway, phys_base is kernel information. To make it available for qemu
> side, there's need to prepare a mechanism for qemu to have any access
> [...]

I agree that the actual value of phys_base should be included in the vmcoreinfo.

However, it won't help in this case because the vmcoreinfo data is not
copied into the compressed dumpfile header.  The offset_vmcoreinfo and
size_vmcoreinfo fields are zero.

Here's an example header dump of a QEMU-generated dumpfile:

  crash> help -n
  makedumpfile header:
            signature: "makedumpfile"
                 type: 1
              version: 1
        all_flat_data:
            num_array: 18695
                array: 7f484b760010
            file_size: 0

  diskdump_data:
            filename: vmcore.ovmf.rhel7.kdump-snappy
               flags: c6 (KDUMP_CMPRS_LOCAL|ERROR_EXCLUDED|LZO_SUPPORTED|SNAPPY_SUPPORTED) [FLAT]
                 dfd: 3
                 ofp: 3e441b1260
        machine_type: 62 (EM_X86_64)

              header: 1a68fe0
             signature: "KDUMP   "
        header_version: 6
               utsname:
                 sysname:
                nodename:
                 release:
                 version:
                 machine: x86_64
              domainname:
             timestamp:
                  tv_sec: 0
                 tv_usec: 0
                status: 4 (DUMP_DH_COMPRESSED_SNAPPY)
            block_size: 4096
          sub_hdr_size: 1
         bitmap_blocks: 76
             max_mapnr: 1245184
      total_ram_blocks: 0
         device_blocks: 0
        written_blocks: 0
           current_cpu: 0
               nr_cpus: 4
        tasks[nr_cpus]: 0
                        0
                        0
                        0

          sub_header: 0 (n/a)

    sub_header_kdump: 1a69ff0
             phys_base: 0
            dump_level: 1 (0x1) (DUMP_EXCLUDE_ZERO)
                 split: 0
             start_pfn: (unused)
               end_pfn: (unused)
     offset_vmcoreinfo: 0 (0x0)
       size_vmcoreinfo: 0 (0x0)
           offset_note: 4200 (0x1068)
             size_note: 3232 (0xca0)
    num_prstatus_notes: 4
             notes_buf: 1a6b000
              notes[0]: 1a6b000
              notes[1]: 1a6b164
              notes[2]: 1a6b2c8
              notes[3]: 1a6b42c
    NT_PRSTATUS_offset: 1068
                        11cc
                        1330
                        1494
      offset_eraseinfo: 0 (0x0)
        size_eraseinfo: 0 (0x0)
          start_pfn_64: (unused)
            end_pfn_64: (unused)
          max_mapnr_64: 1245184 (0x130000)

         data_offset: 4e000
          block_size: 4096
         block_shift: 12
              bitmap: 7f484b713010
          bitmap_len: 311296
           max_mapnr: 1245184 (0x130000)
     dumpable_bitmap: 7f484b6c6010
                byte: 0
                 bit: 0
     compressed_page: 1a8c660
           curbufptr: 1a7f650

Note that QEMU does add self-generated register dumps above, but the special
"QEMU" note that is added to ELF kdumps is not included.

Also note that the kernel version information is also left zero-filled.

In any case, if either a QEMU note or a diskdump.data flag were added, I would
be more than happy.