[Crash-utility] The problems when running SuSE 12 on VirtualBox

David Mair dmair at suse.com
Thu Nov 19 15:37:21 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 07:45 AM, Dave Anderson wrote:

Hi Dave,

> [...]
<snip>

>> (2) Execute "crash -d8" on physical machine will cause crash utility core
>> dump.
>
> I can reproduce this, so I'll look into it.  It's related to the /dev/mem "test"
> to determine whether the kernel was configured with CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM, where
> it tries to read from pfn 257 (just above the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM limit), but
> gets into an infinite loop when used in conjunction with -d.
>
> Anyway, just continue to use /proc/kcore and you should be fine.

This is the cause in readmem():

switch(READMEM(...))
{
	.
	.
	.
case READ_ERROR:
	if (PRINT_ERROR_MESSAGE) ********** THIS ***********
	{
		causes a nested readmem() call before the goto gives it
		to the caller to deal with
	}
	goto readmem_error
}
	.
	.
	.
switch(error_handle)
{
	case (RETURN_ON_ERROR):
}

The PRINT_ERROR_MESSAGE I assume is an escalation from -d 8 in this case.

--
David.