[Crash-utility] On X86 host, how to build crash tool which can analysis pwoerpc vmcore

Petr Tesarik ptesarik at suse.cz
Sat Nov 28 12:36:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:44:28 +0100
Rabin Vincent <rabin.vincent at axis.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 01:05:44PM +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 05:30:30AM +0000, Liu, Jianbo (James) wrote:
> > > Even if we build with cross compiler, we still can not meet this request?
> >
> > Even with a cross compiler you'd need an environment to execute the
> > resulting powerpc build - about the only way that you can do that on
> > an x86 host is to use something like Qemu's powerpc support:
> >
> >   http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-qemu-development/
> >
> > It's slow compared to real hardware but if using a real power host is
> > not an option this may be worth looking into.
>
> I tested this earlier for analysis of a big-endian MIPS dump on an
> x86-64 host, with success.  See these for more info:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2015-March/msg00001.html
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2015-January/msg00028.html

If you're able (and willing) to invest some time into development, you
may find this project interesting:

  https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2015-09/msg00014.html

Support for powerpc is currently missing, but it could be added with
relatively low effort, and there is a so-called HackWeek¹ at SUSE in the
week of Dec 7, so I could help with that. There are a few other SUSE
people interested in this project.

Petr Tesarik

¹ SUSE HackWeek is a week that can be used by all SUSE R&D employees for
innovative projects of their choice (instead of their regular work).