[Crash-utility] PATCH 00/10] teach crash to work with "live" ramdump

Oleg Nesterov oleg at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 12:22:34 UTC 2016

On 04/25, Dave Anderson wrote:

> As I see it, this facility is simply another LIVE_SYSTEM memory source,
> of which there currently are /dev/mem, /proc/kcore and /dev/crash.

Yes, if we are talking about 09/10 and 10/10.

> The
> essential difference between them is the pc->readmem plugin:

The essential difference is that this source is remote. See another email.

> The CRASHBUILTIN stuff and related stuff you ran into is only there because
> live system analysis typically does not require a crash command line option,
> so crash has to figure what to do when a user just enters "crash".

Ah. Yes, the usage of CRASHBUILTIN is ugly, and I tried to document this.

We need the new (say) RAW_MEM_DUMP flag. We can't use RAMDUMP because it can
be set along with KDUMP.

And there is no room in pc->flags, so I decided to abuse CRASHBUILTIN for now.

Oleg.