[Crash-utility] PATCH 00/10] teach crash to work with "live" ramdump

Oleg Nesterov oleg at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 12:49:31 UTC 2016

On 04/26, Dave Anderson wrote:

> [...]

Yes, and this file is the physical memory of the guest. So it is essentially
the RAM dump which can be used by "crash PATH-TO-THIS-FILE at 0" right now without
any patches. And in this particular case the offset is always zero.

But not on x86-64, is_ramdump() insists on ramdump_to_elf() even if we could
use read_ramdump(), and ramdump_to_elf() doesn't support x86-64.

And of course, you can't use this RAM dump in "live" mode (without these
changes).

> So what's the remote access needed
> for -- just to query for the particulars of the layout of the memory file?

Sorry, I don't understand...

Do you ask me what qemu does with this file or what?

Oleg.