[Crash-utility] PATCH 00/10] teach crash to work with "live" ramdump

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:24:51 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> On 04/28, Dave Anderson wrote:
> >
> > > OK, good. So can't you apply 1-7 first? so that we can finish this part and then
> > > add the support for live dumpfiles.
> >
> > No, I don't commit things piecemeal.  Once a patchset is completely acceptable,
> > I'll check it in.
>
> OK. I will assume that so far you are mostly agree with 1-7.
>
> > > In short: what do you want me to change in 1-7 to get them applied?
> >
> > The full patchset.
>
> OK. So let me ask,
>
> 	1. How the command line should look?

Well, for the non-live, crashed. version of this dumpfile, it should look exactly
as the current ramdump MEMORY-IMAGE at ADDRESS implementation, correct?

As for the "hybrid-live-dump" version, I'm not sure.  So for now I guess you can
continue using the "live:" prefix to the dumpfile name.  If we come up with a
more logical naming scheme in the future, we can always change it later.

> 	2. Should I re-use ramdump.c or should I just add the new file which
> 	   re-implements read_ramdump() ?

Given that these *are* essentially ramdump files, you've convinced me that ramdump.c
should be used.

When I was babbling on about creating a new file, I was still under the impression
that there was some kind of remote protocol going on.  If I had been aware of exactly
what your "/tmp/MEM" file consisted of, and that it exists on the host machine, I could
have avoided 80% of our back-and-forth emails.  I'm really sorry for having wasted
your time.