[Crash-utility] compiling statically?

Dave Anderson anderson at prospeed.net
Thu Aug 25 00:19:47 UTC 2016

> On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 15:00 -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:

> Thanks for trying.
>
> I'm not seeing the 'unresolved references' related libncurses.a.  I
> just see the warnings I first reported. And I'm pretty sure I'm not
> getting the whole crash exe compiled statically successfully because
> when I try to use it on a different system, crash gives me read errors,
> such as:
>
> rash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81ae3480  type:
> "possible"
> WARNING: cannot read cpu_possible_map
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81ae3400  type:
> "present"
> WARNING: cannot read cpu_present_map
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81ae3440  type:
> "online"
> WARNING: cannot read cpu_online_map
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81ae33c0  type:
> "active"
> WARNING: cannot read cpu_active_map
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff82ae95b0  type:
> "shadow_timekeeper xtime_sec"
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: read error: kernel virtual address: ffffffff81a0b2c4  type:
> "init_uts_ns"
> crash: compressed kdump: uncompress failed: no lzo compression support
> crash: src/linux/vmlinux and crash.dump do not match!
>
> Usage:
>
>   crash [OPTION]... NAMELIST MEMORY-IMAGE[@ADDRESS] (dumpfile form)
>   crash [OPTION]... [NAMELIST] (live system form)

That's not a problem -- crash just needs to be compiled with "make lzo",
which will add these lines to the CFLAGS.extra and LDFLAGS.extra files:

  -DLZO     in the CFLAGS.extra file
  -llzo2    in the LDFLAGS.extra file

and will delete diskdump.o.  The subsequent rebuild will recompile
diskdump.c with lzo compression support.  You only have to enter
"make lzo" once, as it's effect is sticky.

This also requires the lzo, lzo-minilzo and lzo-devel packages to
be installed so that the lzo compression library can get compiled in.
But in your case, you would need to have the static versions of the
lzo and lzo-minilzo packages.