[Crash-utility] Question regarding crash usage on Xen Dom0 Kernel

yang oliver yang_oliver at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:01:12 UTC 2016

All,

Could latest crash version (b349598) could work on Linux 4.6.4 Xen Dom0?

It seemed that crash only could support open dump files, instead of running directly without a kernel core.

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct or not.

Daniel,

If my understanding is correct, I’m wondering do you have the plan to support this crash use case on Xen Dom0?

Here are detailed information, just FYI,

On Linux kernel 4.6.4 based Xen Dom0, I ran crash directly with kernel debug info installed,

# crash

crash 7.1.5++
Copyright (C) 2002-2016  Red Hat, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010  IBM Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012  Fujitsu Limited
Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
Copyright (C) 2005, 2011  NEC Corporation
Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for details.

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...

crash: p2m array in new format is unreadable.

The error message was from below patch, which indicated that it only works for dump file case,

https://github.com/crash-utility/crash/commit/c3413456599161cabc4e910a0ae91dfe5eec3c21

In the patch, the XEN_CORE_DUMPFILE check excluded the case running crash without a kernel file,

		} else if (symbol_exists("xen_p2m_addr")) {
			if (!XEN_CORE_DUMPFILE()) >>>>>>>>>>>>> hit the condition here
				error(FATAL, "p2m array in new format is unreadable.");