[Crash-utility] crash problems with linux-4.5

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Mar 17 15:14:48 UTC 2016

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just forcing a crash dump via 'echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger' results in a crash
> > dump that has no tasks saved.  I see _lots_ of these errors when loading the
> > dump with the latest crash from the git repo:
> >
> > crash: page excluded: kernel virtual address: ffff88103c5a9000  type:
> "fill_task_struct"
> > WARNING: active task ffff881078a04340 on cpu 3 not found in PID hash
> >
> > Then nothing is in the dump:
> >
> > crash> ps
> >    PID    PPID  CPU       TASK        ST  %MEM     VSZ    RSS  COMM
> > >     0      0   0  ffffffff81c0f4c0  RU   0.0       0      0  [swapper/0]
> > crash>
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > I'm using top-o-tree from Dave's git repo
> > https://github.com/crash-utility/crash.git:
> >
> > commit 04ab5c560a58246e782509d99214afcaf8462b4c
> > Author: Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>
> > Date:   Tue Mar 1 16:16:48 2016 -0500
> >
> >     Put 2016 copyright in initial banner.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve.
>
> If you have configured kdump to use makedumpfile -d31, it is probably this:
>
>   [Crash-utility] makedumpfile: 4.5 kernel commit breaks page filtering
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2016-February/msg00009.html
>
> > PS: I'm not on the crash-utility list, so please include my email in any
> > replies.
>
> PS: if you're using crash on bleeding edge kernels, you might want to join
> the list, at least in digest mode.

Thanks Dave. I've joined. :)

I changed the makedumpfile line in /etc/init.d/kdump from -d 31 to -d 17, then removed the kdump initrd from /boot, and restarted kdump to generate the new initrd file.  I then rebooted, and produced a new crash dump.  But I'm still seeing the same issue.

Am I doing the correct procedure for forcing makedumpfile to use -d17?

Thanks,

Steve.