[Crash-utility] Unable to analyze xen guest coredump

Zihan Yang tgnyang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 02:55:14 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I start the domU with linux 4.12.13(bzImage) and xen 4.9.0, and I manually
dump the guest memory with `sudo xl dump-core myvm dump-res`.

Then I try to analyze it in crash using sudo crash bzImage dump-res, but it
tells me that
    crash: bzImage: not a supported file format

I have tried to add  `-f` option using `sudo crash -f bzImage dump-res`,
but get the same error.

I then replace the bzImage with corresponding vmlinux, this time it gives
me the following message
    WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string
    crash: src/linux-4.12.13/vmlinux and dump-res do not match!

How can I make them match? Xen does not support directly boot a
uncompressed vmlinux file(in HVM mode) so I have keep using bzImage.

Thanks

Zihan