[Crash-utility] Crash-utility issue with MIPS

Ilan Schwarts ilan84 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:33:27 UTC 2018

Hi.
Please uname -a. What is the kernel version. Also type in crash the command
with -d to print debug. That would be helpful for further investigation

On Jul 5, 2018 17:51, "Mozes, Rachel" <rachel.mozes at intel.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm an Intel employee, having a MIPS Platform running Linux OS.
I enabled the kexec\kdump flow in Linux version we use and now I have
vmcore memory dump, and now I'm getting into troubles....
I'm running the crash utility compiled with "target=MIPS" and getting the
output:

crash: read error: kernel virtual address: xxxx30fc type: "possible"
WARNING: cannot read cpu_possible_map
crash: read error: kernel virtual address: xxxx30f4 type: "present"
WARNING: cannot read cpu_present_map
crash: read error: kernel virtual address: xxxx30f8 type: "online"
WARNING: cannot read cpu_online_map
crash: read error: kernel virtual address: xxxx30f0 type: "active"
WARNING: cannot read cpu_active_map
crash: read error: kernel virtual address:xxxx0a48 type: "shadow_timekeeper
xtime_sec"
crash: read error: kernel virtual address: xxxxa444 type: "init_uts_ns"
*crash: linux/vmlinux and vmcore do not match!*

As you see the tool claims that the vmlinux doesn't match to the vmcore
although the vmcore captured from the given vmlinux.
When I open the vmcore with gdb from our toolchain provided by MIPS, it's
successfully opened and I see that the init_uts_ns is in offset xxxxa440
instead of xxxxa444 it looks for in the crash utility.

I thought that maybe the issue is we use a propriety toolchain provided by
Codescape (the next link) and tried to replace the gdb packet in the
Makefile - but then the tool wasn't compile, it fails in the gdb_merge step:
http://codescape-mips-sdk.imgtec.com/components/toolchain/2017.10-05/
downloads.html

Can you help us to understand how to overcome this issue? is there any way
to replace the gdb binary that the tool uses?

We'll very appreciate your help.

Intel Israel (74) Limited