[Crash-utility] kdump on VFAT

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jun 26 21:35:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

Buried in this thread on the BootLoaderSpec, is the discussion on the
technical merit (or not) of using VFAT for /boot which is currently
where kdump dumps its captured crashes, I guess. So I'm wondering if
there are any developer concerns about dumps going to VFAT and also if
a viable work around is putting crash dumps in /var instead?

For reference, BootLoaderSpec in effect requires VFAT for $BOOT which
would contain bootloader configuration, kernel, initramfs, and would
be mounted at /boot

Fedora thread to make BootLoaderSpec default in Fedora 29 (note that
really this feature is pushing only the BootLoaderSpec file format for
bootloader configuration; not the full spec including the VFAT
requirement - that's still under discussion).
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/CTKJBECHWEVF5IN6FO5TV7SIYWIMKYRT/

BootLoaderSpec
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/doc/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION.md