[Crash-utility] Support for crash running on an ARM 32 bit host analyzing ARM 32 bit crash files? Looking unlikely. :(

Pete Delaney -T (petdelan - RANDSTAD NORTH AMERICA INC at Cisco) petdelan at cisco.com
Sat Feb 8 02:59:00 UTC 2020

Hi Dave:

I gave it another shot this afternoon, knowing now that I should be able to confiure the build for this.

I'm having trouble getting configure (configure.c) to modify the Makefile for building on an X86 server a copy of  crash
That's to run on a ARM (32) and debug ARM (32) crash dumps. Exec_tools wasn't a problem. I looked at configure.c
And I saw a section supporting ARM64 but didn't see a non-64 bit ARM case. I can't access the build details right now
To provide details.

Sometime I've been getting TARGET in the Makefile to change from 64 bit X86 to ARM but think it's consistently using
The native cc instead of the cross CC. I've tried changing the ENVIRONMENT variables like I did for exec_tools and for the
Kernel but so far haven't seen any evidence of the configure program noticing that the host CC isn't to be used.

I'm using my Makefile to drive the building of ./configure in the  ${CRASH-UTILITY} build directory.
After that I'm running the .configure that it builds,
And the having my Makefile evoke a make in the ${CRASH-UTILITY} build directory.

I've been trying to pass CROSS_COMPILE options and env variables at both the configure and make stages.
Would likely save some time if you tell me how you have been doing it or point our a web page or doc on
A suggest approach to building crash-utility on an X86 for running on an ARM. Like building Android, this
Is likely a rather common goal.

-piet