[Crash-utility] crash fails to load on ARM64 live kernel

Bhupesh Sharma bhsharma at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 21:57:22 UTC 2020

Hi Vijay,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 8:33 AM Vijay Balakrishna
<vijayb at linux.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are seeing crash (7.2.8) failing on ARM64 live kernel.  After filing
> https://github.com/crash-utility/crash/issues/54 I learned about crash
> utility discussion list
> (https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/crash-utility), hence reaching
> out list members.  Please share any insight.
>
> # uname -a
> Linux com7 5.4.42-xxxxxxxx-standard #1 SMP Wed Jun 3 05:17:19 UTC 2020
> aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
> # crash -s /proc/kcore vmlinux-stable-master-dev54
> crash: /proc/kcore: cannot read vabits_actual
> #
>
> I have made a request to join mailing list.

I think this is a duplicate of the discussion we already had a couple
of days ago, or did you hit another issue with live analysis on arm64
via crash? Please let me know.

As I shared earlier, this issue is not reproducible with upstream
linux kernel (5.8.0-rc3) and upstream crash-utility (./crash -v =
crash 7.2.8++). See my logs below (on an arm64 machine):

# ./crash -s /proc/kcore /root/git/linux/vmlinux

WARNING: kernel relocated [0MB]: patching 102421 gdb minimal_symbol values
crash>

Please ensure that the following CONFIG options are enabled in your
kernel config flags:
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL=y

Thanks,