[Crash-utility] crash start in CentOS 8

Bhupesh Sharma bhsharma at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 07:13:00 UTC 2020

Hello Patrick,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM Agrain Patrick
<patrick.agrain at al-enterprise.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I tried to test the crash utility from CentOS 8 with following requirements:
>
> First machine (VMware) on which CentOS 8 is installed and on which I performed a fake crash using SysRq. After reboot, The /var/crash was populated with the vmcore.
> Second machine (Server) on which CentOS 8 is also installed and on which I wish to analyze the crash.
>

> Both machine have the same CentOS build installed.
>
> I imported System.map-4.18.0-147.el8.x86_64, vmcore and vmlinux.debuginfo from first machine to a directory on the second machine.
>
> When I run ‘crash’, I have following messages (see below), but no ‘crash>’ prompt.
>

> What have I missed ? What Should I check ?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrick Agrain
>

> [root at lxkmg-pag-ale test64]# /usr/bin/crash System.map-4.18.0-147.el8.x86_64 vmlinux.debuginfo vmcore
>

> crash 7.2.6-2.el8
>
> Copyright (C) 2002-2019  Red Hat, Inc.
>
> Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010  IBM Corporation
>
> Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
>
> Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012  Fujitsu Limited
>
> Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K.
>
> Copyright (C) 2005, 2011  NEC Corporation
>
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2002, 2007  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
>
> This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
>
> and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
>
> certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
>
> This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for details.
>

> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6

> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
>
> and "show warranty" for details.
>
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
>

> please wait... (patching 92149 gdb minimal_symbol values)  [Vanished after a few seconds]
>

> [root at lxkmg-pag-ale test64]#

Can you please increase the verbosity level by specifying the -d
parameter while invoking the crash command?
>From CRASH(8) man page:

-d num: Set the internal debug level.  The higher the number, the more
debugging data will be printed when crash initializes and runs.

I normally would run crash with -d 15 to get verbose logs (but not too
verbose to overwhelm the console :)).
Can you please share the output with the same?

Thanks,
Bhupesh