[Crash-utility] EXT: Re: EXT: Re: crash start in CentOS 8

Bhupesh Sharma bhsharma at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 21:43:14 UTC 2020

Hello Kazu,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 8:38 PM HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁)
<k-hagio-ab at nec.com> wrote:

> [...]

Indeed, I remember discussing this with Dave A. some months back.
Infact with newer KASLR enabled kernels it makes little sense to use
System.map file as it contains the non-relocated symbol values that
were compiled into the vmlinux file - that's why I suggested just to
use to the vmlinux and vmcore file as an arguments while invoking the
crash tool to Patrick.

However, going back to the discussion I had with Dave A., I think the
main point of confusion was the 'crash_whitepaper' which is still
located at [1], and which provides the following example to invoke the
crash utility with the System.map file, vmlinux and vmcore
combination:

 Examples when running on a dumpfile:

      $ crash /boot/System.map vmlinux.dbg vmcore

I think while this was ok for older kernels which did not support
KASLR, for newer kernels this needs an update.
I am trying to see if I can modify the 'crash_whitepaper' and push the
same to github, so that users are not confused with the System.map
option.

What's your views on the same? Please let me know.

[1]. https://crash-utility.github.io/crash_whitepaper.html

Thanks,
Bhupesh