[Crash-utility] [ANNOUNCE] My retirement, and crash utility maintainership changes

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu May 7 12:51:14 UTC 2020

----- Original Message -----
> Dave,
>
> > Initially Kazuhito will primarily be handling upstream github duties,
> > while Lianbo and Bhupesh will be handling Fedora, CentOS stream, and
> > RHEL maintenance.  All three will be involved in the acceptance of
> > patches posted on this mailing list.  Please welcome them in their
> > new roles; I am confident they will do a terrific job.
>
> Maybe, is it better to send patch set via github as PR from now on? I'm now writing
> zram patch set for x86-64 support.

Hi Daisuke,

Good question -- and one that I shall defer the answer to the new maintainers.

Personally, I never accepted git pull requests because I always felt that
it was more valuable to expose proposed patches to the larger audience
that make up this mailing list.  So when PRs came in, I coerced the
submitter to use the list.

> > Since the https://people.redhat.com/anderson web page will be
> > decommissioned after my departure, its contents have been moved
> > to be co-located with the crash-utility github site:
> >
> >   https://crash-utility.github.io
>
> Do you plan to set a redirection from the current page? Rpm packages for
> crash's extension modules have URL in each rpm information  like below and need to
> modify it accordingly:
>
>     # yum info crash-gcore-command
>     Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
>     Available Packages
>     Name        : crash-gcore-command
>     Arch        : x86_64
>     Version     : 1.3.1
>     Release     : 0.el7
>     Size        : 41 k
>     Repo        : rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64
>     Summary     : Gcore extension module for the crash utility
>     URL         : http://people.redhat.com/anderson/extensions/crash-gcore-command-1.3.1.tar.gz
>     License     : GPLv2
>     Description : Command for creating a core dump file of a user-space task that
>                 : was running in a kernel dumpfile.

Yes, when the packages are updated, the URLs will have to be changed.  During the build
procedure, the package verification will fail if the upstream URL is defunct.

> Also, when I want to release a new version of crash extnesion module, I send it to Hagio-san via
> this mailing list as in the past, and then Hagio-san modifies the "crash extension modules" page.
> Is this understanding correct?

Yes, and then Kazu, Liang or Bhupesh will be able to update that page.

> > I want to express my appreciation to all of you who have contributed
> > patches, both bug fixes and new features, and most importantly, to the
> > support from users who have kept the crash utility alive for over 20 years
> > now.  It has been my great pleasure to have had the chance to work with
> > such an extraordinary international cast of characters.
> >
> > I will still be lurking as a regular subscriber to this list, at my
> > home address: anderson at prospeed.net
> >
> > It will be fun to watch what happens...
> >
> > Best wishes to all of you in these trying times,
>
> Thanks for your work on crash utility. This is essential for our daily support jobs.
>
> Personally, I met crash utility relatively early when I entered this field and have
> learnt a lot thorough using, reading and writing crash utility and lots of reviews
> by you this 10 years.

I can't thank you enough Daisuke.  Over the years you have been one of my most
dependable and valued contributors.  Your finger prints are all over the crash
utility!

Best Regards,
  Dave