[Crash-utility] Update gdb to 10.1

Bhupesh Sharma bhsharma at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 07:42:00 UTC 2020

Hi Alexey,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:31 AM Alexey Makhalov <amakhalov at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m thinking to update gdb to recent version.
> Are there any concerns?
> What should I know? Any dependencies which force us to stick to 7.6?
>
> The features I’m aiming are:
> 1) `offset` support in add-symbol-file, can be used to provide kaslr_offset to gdb
> 2) remove-symbol-file - can be used to remove original symbols after finding kaslr_offset

Thanks for raising this. I have recently started work (mainly from
RHEL p-o-v) to evaluate crash porting to gdb-10.1 as we need right now
to keep some additional patches in upstream crash code to help fix
issues, for example:
- ppc64le enablement,
- other fixes picked from gdb upstream which fix some issues with gdb-7.6

There is a case for using gdb-10.1 to avoid such patches. However, I
am still in the very preliminary stage of the evaluation.

> My high-level goal is to give gdb more resources (access to registers, memory, machine info - such as number CPUs), so we can use useful gdb commands as:
> bt, frame, info locals

Makes sense.

Let me know if you need any help from my side for the same. I plan to
try some more for the porting (from RHEL-p-o-v) this weekend - maybe I
will come back with more updates on the same early next week.

Thanks,
Bhupesh