[Crash-utility] EXT: Re: Address - Symbol correspondance

Agrain Patrick patrick.agrain at al-enterprise.com
Fri Mar 5 10:15:32 UTC 2021

Hello Li,

Thanks for the information.
It can fulfil my need.

Best regards,
Patrick Agrain

De : crash-utility-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:crash-utility-bounces at redhat.com] De la part de Li Yueyi
Envoyé : vendredi 5 mars 2021 09:44
À : Discussion list for crash utility usage, maintenance and development <crash-utility at redhat.com>
Objet : EXT: Re: [Crash-utility] Address - Symbol correspondance

** External email - Please consider with caution **
Hi Patrick,

Try 'dis' command, like:

crash> dis 0xffffffffa4099980
Li Yueyi
Send by my mobile phone.

在 2021年3月5日,16:19,Agrain Patrick <patrick.agrain at al-enterprise.com<mailto:patrick.agrain at al-enterprise.com>> 写道:

Hello all,

Target runs a CentOS8 kernel with KASLR enabled.
I triggered a crash on it for training purpose with ‘echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger’.

I analyze the produced dumpfile on another machine where I setup all sources and required debuginfo packages.
So far, so good, the backtrace list is complete.

But I tried to match address to symbol, I have something like that (e.g. for proc_reg_write() ):

crash> info address proc_reg_write
Symbol "proc_reg_write" is a function at address 0xffffffffa4099980.
crash> info symbol 0xffffffffa4099980
No symbol matches 0xffffffffa4099980.

Is there a more ‘elegant’ way to retrieve the symbol from address than to perform an ‘objdump’ request on the vmlinux.debug binary ?
Have I missed an option for a command ?

Note: I get the same behavior with ‘crash --kaslr auto’ than with ‘crash’.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Patrick Agrain