[Crash-utility] [ANNOUNCE] crash with GDB 10.2 and release plan

HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) k-hagio-ab at nec.com
Fri Sep 24 05:54:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

We have worked on updating the GDB contained by the crash utility to
version 10.2.  We are going to merge the patch series [1] next week.

[1] https://github.com/lian-bo/crash-gdb10.2-devel-temp

And, here is the plan of the next releases:

 1. create "crash-7-branch" to maintain the current gdb-7.6 crash
    for more several months.
 2. merge the gdb-10.2 patch series into the master branch.
 3. release crash-8.0.0 with gdb-10.2 and crash-7.3.1 with gdb-7.6
    in this November or December.
 4. release crash-7.3.2 with gdb-7.6 next year as its end of life.

                        Nov or Dec        May? (every 6 months)
                          8.0.0          8.0.1

  crash-7-branch `-----------*--------------| (end of life)
                           7.3.1          7.3.2

It would be helpful if you would test it and report/fix bugs.

We would like to thank Alexey Makhalov, who has done this excellent work,
Tao Liu also has helped us test and fix bugs a lot, Youling Tang has tested
on MIPS architecture, and all developers who have tested and reported bugs.

Thanks,
Kazu