[dm-devel] help : device mapper is robust over power failure ?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Sat Jul 26 06:12:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 04:31:12PM +0530, kiran dalvi wrote:
>    for example :
>         I have two disks and I am mirroring first disk data on second disk.

The current mirror implementation only supports short-term mirrors, of
the sort needed by pvmove.

The mirror is destroyed if the device-mapper mirror target is
deactivated in any way - including through power loss, or by shutting
down device-mapper.

Next time the mirror is activated, it again copies the data from the
first device to the others.

A persistent mirror implementation is under development.

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com