[dm-devel] Another experimental dm target... an encryption target

jon+lvm at silicide.dk jon+lvm at silicide.dk
Sat Jul 26 11:55:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:03:11PM +0200, Christophe Saout wrote:
> Am Sa, 2003-07-26 um 13.03 schrieb Jon Bendtsen:
>
> > Does a kill-filter count ;-P
>
> I think so. :(

gotcha ;-P

> > Well this does kind of make my project redundant and moot :(
>
> Not really. There are still things like storing the key on disk,
> encrypted with an assymetric key (password) or something. And the LVM
> part.

yeah, but arent you gonna make those? Besides, i'll at least have
to talk this situation over with my fellow student and the professor.
I would really like encryption to be a part of LVM, and i want keychange.
I never really expected the dm-target to be the tough part, since it would
just be sort of like dm-linear, and cryptoloop. The other stuff and
performance tuning was where i expected to use time.

> > Besides, since i now "seen" the code you did (well, i replied
> > to the email, but not studied the code) then perhaps my professor
> > might possibly will raise questions as to whether or not i really
> > developed the code myself.
>
> Hey, it's technically not too different from cryptoloop.c and there's
> still a lot of room for improvement. Does your professor follow this
> mailing list?

dunno, but he might. I'm proberly going to tell him so he knows in
advance, so i dont run into trouble later.

> > > Well, the cryptoapi is dog-slow anyway so it's not a performance waste,
> > > just unneeded complexity.
> >
> > If it was so dog-slow, and an unneeded complexity, why did you make it?
>
> Hmm, just for fun?

hehe, thats the spirit :)

> Sorry, does this really piss you of? I didn't mean to.

Well, it's sort of both ways. I like encryption, and i want more support
for that in linux. That part i am thrilled about. But i'm not too thrilled
if i means the end of my university project, however, i guess that i better
get used to other people doing the same things that i want to, it's not like
i own the idea. You did catch me off guard, i didnt expect anyone to rush
out and do the same thing that i said i would try, but maybe thats common
in the OS development world?

JonB