[dm-devel] Multipath and HSG80 phase 2

James.Smart at Emulex.Com James.Smart at Emulex.Com
Thu Dec 9 23:37:44 UTC 2004

Christoph,

I can think of at least 1 reasonable reason why you have "long" delays with the Emulex driver. It attempts to hide temporary device loss for normal operation. Thus, there's a timer that waits before we start erroring i/o. For multipathing - you want this timer as low as zero.

If you're running the 8.x driver , try setting the module parameter lpfc_nodev_tmo=0. Also, older driver revs had issues with "cable pulls", which are the port removal tests. In order to get decent behavior, we required a kernel patch (in 2.6.10-rc's), a minimum driver rev of 8.0.14 (but I'd run the latest anyway - it's 8.0.16), and compilation by "make BUILD_FC_TRANS=1" (see the RELEASE-NOTES file).  Sorry this isn't plug-n-play yet. It will be as we complete the upstream process.

-- James S