[dm-devel] Re: Is there a grand plan for FC failover?

Philip R. Auld pauld at egenera.com
Fri Feb 13 09:26:00 UTC 2004

Rumor has it that on Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 06:42:01PM +0100 Jens Axboe said:
> On Sat, Jan 31 2004, Philip R. Auld wrote:
> > Rumor has it that on Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:30:37AM +0100 Jens Axboe said:
> > >
> > > I suspect the problem really isn't that huge in 2.6, since most
> > > performance file systems are using mpage or building their own big
> > > bio's. So in a sense, some of the merging already does happen above dm
> > > (and the io scheduler).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, where does raw io fit into that in 2.6?
>
> raw io (or O_DIRECT io, same path) should work even better, always send
> out bio's as big as the underlying device can support.

That size is based on the blocksize? Is there a way to set the block size higher than
512 w/o mounting it? I've gotten really bad rawio performance on 2.4. since I have a
limit of 32 sg entries. When Rawio uses a 512 byte blocksize IOs are limited to 16K.

Will this still be a problem in 2.6?

Thanks again,

Phil

> --
> Jens Axboe
>
> -

Philip R. Auld, Ph.D.  	        	       Egenera, Inc.
Principal Software Engineer                   165 Forest St.
(508) 858-2628                            Marlboro, MA 01752