[dm-devel] Multipath Doc

christophe varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Mon Feb 23 08:46:01 UTC 2004

Thanks for reading :)

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> Christophe,
>
> the test io interval has been recently removed from dm in favour of
> user space path revalidation (of course that needs precautions, eg mlockall())
> in the application.

Thanks for noting. I will update the doc, but I need a bit more info :
Have you a prototype at hand ? Do you expect storage HW vendor will
provide their own path revalidation primitives ? ... Have you message
you want to pass to the HW vendors in this doc ?

> Are you aiming at replacing the partitioning code in Linux altogether by running
> kpartx in the early boot environment, setting up respective mapped devices ?

M Viro told me nearly 2 years back that it was doable but a little
early. In the interim, the two partitioning scheme can co-exist : keep
in-kernel partitions for legacy disks, but use DM/kpartx for any new
type of disk that would otherwise require kernel code to handle parts :
md, loop, ataraid, ...

regards,
cvaroqui