[dm-devel] Re: device-mapper library

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Mon Nov 8 23:25:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:48:30PM -0500, Bob Glamm wrote:
> Is there an issue building device-mapper.1.00.1[89] against
> 2.6 kernels?  struct dm_target_msg does not appear in the
> kernel headers for 2.6.5 or 2.6.7 (include/linux/dm-ioctl.h)
> but does appear in kernel/ioctl/dm-ioctl.h in the device-mapper
> sources.  Is there a set of 2.6.x patches somewhere I missed?

A late reply, but for the record the userspace device-mapper
library should cope fine: you compile it using its local copy of
that header.  If your kernel was compiled with an older version of
it, the library code is designed to fallback at runtime to using
a correspondingly older version whenever it reasonably can, or else
return errors for features that can't be approximated using the
old API.

So far, dm_target_msg is only used by multipath code in the
unstable device-mapper trees at http://sources.redhat.com/dm/

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com