[dm-devel] New -udm?

Mike Christie mikenc at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 11 11:53:07 UTC 2005

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2005-04-11T02:27:11, Mike Christie <mikenc at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>what is wrong with what you have now where you utilize the queue/path's
>>mempool by doing a blk_get_request with GFP_WAIT?
>

> ... what if it's trying to free memory by going to swap on multipath,
> and can't, because we're blocked on getting the request with
> GFP_WAIT...?

GFP_WAIT does not casue IOs though. That is the difference between
waiing on GFP_KERNEL and GFP_WAIT I thought. GFP_KERNEL can cause a page
write out which you wait on and then there is a problem since it could
be to the same disk you are trying to recover. But if you are just
waiting for something to be returned to the mempool like with GFP_WAIT +
blk_get_request you should be ok as long as the code below you
eventually give up their resources and frees the requests you are
waiting on?