[dm-devel] New -udm?

Mike Christie mikenc at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 11 18:25:36 UTC 2005

goggin, edward wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:53:07 -0700
> Mike Christie <mikenc at us.ibm.com>
>
>>Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>>queue/path's

>>>... what if it's trying to free memory by going to swap on
>>
>>multipath,
>>
>>>and can't, because we're blocked on getting the request with
>>>GFP_WAIT...?
>>
>>GFP_WAIT does not casue IOs though. That is the difference between
>>waiing on GFP_KERNEL and GFP_WAIT I thought. GFP_KERNEL can
>>cause a page
>>write out which you wait on and then there is a problem since
>>it could
>>be to the same disk you are trying to recover. But if you are just
>>waiting for something to be returned to the mempool like with
>>GFP_WAIT +
>>blk_get_request you should be ok as long as the code below you
>>eventually give up their resources and frees the requests you are
>>waiting on?
>>

> A deterministic, fool-proof solution for this case must deal with
> the possibility that in order to make progress, one cannot depend
> that any memory resource which has previously been used will free
> up -- because the freeing of that memory may be dependent on
> making progress at this point.  Even using GFP_WAIT, it is possible
> that all previously allocated bio (not sure about requests) mempool
> resources needed are queued waiting for a multipath path to become
> usable again.

For requests...
I thought the only way you can have a problem is if userspace is doing
sg io directly to the paths, like the path testers, and the lower level
drivers do not free resources (like if some evil scsi driver decides to
block forever in its error handler while multiple sg io requests are
queued for example). There is no one else above us so we do not have to
worry about that case where people above dm call blk_get_request on the
same queue, deplete the mempool and never free those requests so we
block forever on some layer above us which cannot proceed becuase we cannot.

Using blk_get_request + GFP_WAIT allows dm to use the same block layer
code path as __make_request for memory allcoation failures, so if there
is a problem with that code itself (like needing to preallocate
correctly or some other issue like that - I am not saying preallocation
is a problem there) it should be solved for all of us there. It makes no
sense to have a fool proof multipath but flakey block layer and if we
can share code all the better.