[dm-devel] LVM Multipathing

shahid shaikh shahid.shaikh at patni.com
Sun Feb 13 07:27:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am trying to test multipathing on lvm2.

Configuration that i am using is as below:

OS                     : SLES9 ( kernel 2.6.5)
lvm                     : lvm2-2.00.15-0.3
multipath-tools    : multipath-tools-0.2.1
udev                   : udev-021-36.32
sysfs                  : sblim-cmpi-sysfs-1.1.5-0.2
hotplug               : hotplug-0.44-32.21 and hotplugctl-0.08-264.1
device-mapper     : device-mapper-1.00.09-17.5

I tried following things :

When I dont have multipaths for LUNs:
1) I tried to create PVs on LUNs using pvcreate
2) Then VGs using above PVs by command vgcreate
3) Then I have created some LVs on VGs.
4) I also fire some I/O on these LVs.
All aboe commands worked succesfully reflecting changes in pvscan, vgscan
and lvscan.

When I have multiplepaths to LUNs:
I tried to create PV on one of the device but on doing pvscan it shows me
some other device.
    e.g  My LUN no 5 has for paths so I can see these four paths as
/dev/sdb, /dev/sdg, /dev/sdl and /dev/sdq.
          then i did following
	   linux# pvcreate /dev/sdb
	   /dev/sdb successfully created
         linux# pvscan
	 	Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdb not
/dev/sdq
		Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdg not
/dev/sdq
  		Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdl not
/dev/sdq
 		PV /dev/sdq    VG vg01   lvm2 [1.00 GB / 972.00 MB free]
  		Total: 1 [1.00 GB] / in use: 1 [1.00 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

	  linux# vgcreate vg01
		succesfully created

	  linux# vgscan
 		Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdb not
/dev/sdq
		Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdg not
/dev/sdq
  		Found duplicate PV owucgI06ZCWQHX6rM3Jyj6UKsr5MOt7E: using /dev/sdl not
/dev/sdq

 I tried the same thing with all permutations but i couldnt create a volume
group.

 I also have  multipath-tools-0.3.9 and  multipath-tools-0.4.2.
 But I am not sure whether they will compatible with kernel 2.6.5.

If you can help me in this scenario I will be thankfull to you.
Please let me know the steps through which I can achieve multipathing on my
configuration.

Thanks and Regards,
Shahid Shaikh.

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin at patni.com and delete this mail.