[dm-devel] LVM Multipathing

shahid shaikh shahid.shaikh at patni.com
Sun Feb 13 11:29:17 UTC 2005

Hello,

I seen FAQ. Part relevant to me from FAQ (copied below) consist semething
related to files /etc/mkinitrd/modules and
/etc/mkinitrd/scripts.
But these files are not peresnt at the given location on my system.
I have installed udev-021-36.32 and multipath-tools-0.2.1 ( one which come
bundled with SLES9).
Please let me know why they are not present over. is there something still
missing?
Or i need install something else ( obviously excluding OS)?

	1. How to set up System-on-multipath ?
	======================================

	prerequisite : udev and multipath-tools installed

	here are the steps on a Debian SID system :

	* add dm-mpath and dm-multipath to /etc/mkinitrd/modules
	* copy $tools_dir/multipath/0[12]_* to /etc/mkinitrd/scripts
	* define a friendly alias for your multipathed root disk
	  (in /etc/multipath.conf). Example : "system"
	* enable busybox in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and set ROOT
	  to any valid block-device (but not a /dev/dm-* one, due to
	  an mkintrd misbelief that all dm-* are managed by LVM2)
	* run mkinitrd
	* in /boot/grub/menu.lst, define the root= kernel parameter
	  Example : root=/dev/system1
	* modify /etc/fstab to reference /dev/system* partitions

	At reboot, you should see some info like :

	path /dev/sda : multipath system
	gpt: 0 slices
	dos: 5 slices
	reduced size of partition #2 to 63
	Added system1 : 0 70685937 linear /dev/system 63
	Added system2 : 0 63 linear /dev/system 7068600
	Added system5 : 0 995967 linear /dev/system 70686063

Thanks and Regards,
Shahid Shaikh.