[dm-devel] How to avoid lots of read ios to passive paths of active-passive storage devices?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Mon Jul 11 09:57:07 UTC 2005

On 2005-07-08T00:21:21, "goggin, edward" <egoggin at emc.com> wrote:

> How sould device scanning utilities like blkid, pvscan,
> vgscan, and lvscan (others?) be made to avoid issuing
> a significant number of read ios to passive paths of
> active-passive storage devices?

Good question.

One could argue that if we issue a bd_claim() (I know, it's falling out
of favour ;-), we might want to issue a theoretical bd_claim_exclusive()
which excludes anyone else from messing with our precciiioussss: ie,
everybody else would be denied open().

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--