[dm-devel] path state change

christophe varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Wed Jun 1 19:30:15 UTC 2005

On mar, 2005-05-31 at 21:28 +0530, Murthy, Narasimha Doraswamy (STSD)
wrote:

> Kindly explain me what the two states for each path infer. Like
> [ready][active] or [faulty][active] or [faulty][failed] or
> [ready][failed]. Also let me know how to failover to other path
> (/dev/sdd) as it shows [ready][failed] status. If I execute just
> “multipath” tool  from the command prompt the states get updated
> properly as

1st state : ready/faulty, shows the path state as seen by the checkers

2nd state : active/failed, shows the path state as seen by the devmapper
kernel driver

Your observations mean is that either the multipathd daemon does not run
or it runs but doesn't work :/

Either way, it's the daemon responsability the reinstate paths. In
recent snapshots it also fails paths in the devmapper the keep the
checkers view in sync with the kernel view.

> After this I will be able to do IO using “dd”.  I suspect that I
> haven’t configured my hotplug to call “multipath” tool as the path is
> made available/unavailable.  I am not sure on where I get hotplug
> script for multipath and how to configure hotplug for calling the
> “multipath” tool. I appreciate if anyone can help me out in this
> regard.

No need

Regards,
--