[dm-devel] Limit on device bandwidth possible?

Mon May 30 23:35:38 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have not found anything about this on the web and in Usenet so I ask
here:

Is there any way to limit the speed of a block device in software? I
imagine this would be pretty cool for backups on a stand-alone
workstation. Today the many disk accesses during the backups slow down my
system too much. I have been told that the kernel cannot reduce the "I/O
priority" of a task to handle this effect.

I think it would be a nice solution if an LVM snapshot volume was created
with an option like "limit throughput to n MB/s (or n% of maximum)". There
is something similar for network interfaces. It cannot be so difficult.
Especially when using snapshot volumes you don't have to care from a data
consistency perspective about the backup taking much longer.

Best regards,

Hauke