[dm-devel] Found a bug that probably is in dm-multipath

Åke Sandgren ake.sandgren at hpc2n.umu.se
Fri Oct 14 13:58:55 UTC 2005

Hi!
I found a lockup bug that to me looks like it is in the dm-multipath
module.

This lockup happens when multipathd is started.

When it gets triggered the system locks up and the NMI watchdog is
activated.

This only happens when the kernel is configure with both
CONFIG_PREEMPT and CONFIG_REGPARM.
2.6.12.6 and 2.6.13.4 both have the same problem.

I have 2 qla2300 controllers on this system.
If the qla module is loaded during initramfs everything is ok but if i
remove them from initramfs and let hotplug load them later during
startup (still before multipathd is started) the system hangs as
multipathd is started.

What exact info would you like to get either to debug this yourself or
what more should i do to try to find te exact cause?

Internet: ake at hpc2n.umu.se   Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90 7866126