[dm-devel] query on device alias/black listing

Murthy, Narasimha Doraswamy (STSD) narasimha.murthy at hp.com
Fri Oct 28 09:05:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

1. In RHEL4 U2, when a device alias is created by modifying
/etc/multipath.conf file, the new DM device is created along with the
existing DM device for which the alias is created. Both devices exist in
/dev/mapper/ directory. When "multipath -ll" is executed, both original
device and the device with alias name are displayed. We can have
different device policies like path grouping etc for both of these
devices.  User need to either reboot or run "multipath -f <wwid> to
remove the existing device for which alias was created. I think we
should have only one device when alias is created. Any suggestions? This
is not a problem as user can go and delete/flush the original device.

2. Blacklisting of the device is possible using "wwid <wwn>" in
blacklist block in /etc/multipath.conf. Is there any way to blacklist
the device created with alias? Giving an alias name in devnode or wwid
doesn't seem to work.

3. As it is not encouraged dmsetup utility to be used for multipathing
devices, features like suspend and resume will be useful in bringing
down the device for maintenance purposes. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
-Murthy