[dm-devel] Trouble configuring MPIO with multipath-tools

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Mon Oct 31 19:49:54 UTC 2005

On lun, 2005-10-31 at 11:20 -0700, Dale.R.Fowle at seagate.com wrote:
> Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help un-confuse me. =-)
>
> I've been through about every document I can find on the internet trying to
> chase down exactly how I'm supposed to configure devices for MPIO. I
> haven't seen the same answer twice. Everything is different.
>
> The most formal documentation I found was here:
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/04/sles_multipathing.html
>
> I've also been out to the multipath-tools resource page:
> http://christophe.varoqui.free.fr/

I bet you'll volonteer to make some really nice doc when you'll have a
good insight of Linux mp-tools. :/

> I really haven't gotten anything to work yet. =-)
>
> I also saw another issue addressed from this e-mail discussion board that
> said really all you need to do is uncomment some lines in
> /etc/multipath.conf and comment out some other lines and you're good to go.

Yes, it all boils down to that.

But for a safe start, you should be happy with no config file at all.
Safe defaults should apply, and you can tweak one param at a time from
there to see its effect.

> So, to clear things up with the device mapper piece of things. Is there any
> requirement of the multipath command that these devices have to be
> pre-built using dmsetup before multipath will recognize and built a path
> under /dev/dm-*?

No. dmsetup is not recquired for mpio operation.
As for /dev/dm-* : they are not recquired to exist at all.
The agreement is to use /dev/mapper/{alias,wwid} nodes.

>  If so,...how do you setup two paths to one device in your
> target_file?

No target_file. No manual assemble.

>  What's confusing to me for setting up two devices in a
> "linear" fashion would seem like it's creating a concatenation of two
> separate devices instead of creating two paths to one device (i.e. "0
> 1028160 linear /dev/hda 0 1028160 3903762 linear /dev/hdb 0" from the
> dmsetup manpage). The only other options are to set them up as stripe or
> error devices.

linear, stripe, error, multipath, ... are target policies.
Concatenation is the *only* policy to chain multi-line tables.
Each line can have a different target policy.

multipath-tools use only 1-line tables. All paths of a multipath are
specified on this single line.

Users should not have to mess with this low-level stuff.

> I'm not sure where to go next with this. I can see my two paths at /dev/sda
> and /dev/sdb. Whether I partition them or not, multipath won't pick
> anything up and display it with 'multipath -v2 -d' or 'multipath -l'. What
> I get from 'multipath -v2 -d' is an error like this:
>
> #multipath -v2 -d
> error calling out /bin/false
> error calling out /bin/false
> #

multipath -d won't do anything (dry mode).
You need to comment out the /bin/false prioritizer in the config file.

> Also, does multipathd or the multipath command itself update
> /etc/multipath.conf when multipath configures or recognizes a device,..or
> is it all a manual process?

The tools never touch /etc/multipath.conf

>  I can't say I've ever seen a device addressed
> like this before:
>
>           3600601607cf30e00184589a37a31d911
>

> Coming from a Solaris background, I'm used seeing the WWNN and/or the WWPN.
> =-) I'm pretty new to the Linux world, so I understand that I'll have to
> get used to seeing things differently sometimes.

This is the default naming before recent upstream version.
You'll find the nodes in /dev/mapper/

> Anyways, I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. FYI, I'm running SLES 9
> with SP2, multipath-tools 0.4.4 is installed, and I'm using a pair of
> Qlogic 2340 HBAs. The storage array controllers are configured as
> active/active. The Qlogic failover parameter is disabled due to my previous
> trials playing with mdadm's mpio features as well.

Good. Keep it that way.

Regards,
cvaroqui