[dm-devel] creating partition mappings with different delimiters

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Mon Apr 3 21:23:18 UTC 2006

Eddie Williams a écrit :
> I see it is kpartx that is defaulting to the 'p' as the delimiter (in
> the set_delimiter function) when the uuid ends with a digit and no
> delimiter when the uuid ends with a character.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to always use the same delimiter by default?  As
> it stands now one will not be able to determine that a node is a
> partition versus a full device by just looking at the name.

This behaviour mimics the kernel partition naming policies : /dev/sd?
partitions have no separator, while /dev/cciss/c0d0 have one, for example.

kpartx once meant to be a true alternative to in-kernel partition
handling, thus cared about that naming compatibility.

I'm inclined to leave it that way, if not only to discourage people to
partition multipathed devices :)

Regards,
cvaroqui