[dm-devel] creating partition mappings with different delimiters

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Tue Apr 4 17:49:49 UTC 2006

>> It seems to me that volume managers, aka LVM or the like, is where folks
>> should be heading and the faster we can move them in that direction the
>> better.  The volume managers provide so much more flexibility than
>> partitions.
>>

> Maybe so. But they also add another layer of complexity for
> booting. I'd like the steps between me and a successful boot
> to be as complex as required but no more so.

True, just as the whole SAN is just another layer layer of complexity
for booting and swaping : zoning and selective storage presentation
errors are common, not to mention software shortcomings.

System on SAN is just a bit more risky. Not doing it also cuts down on
the main use for partitions.

Big data volumes can be handled just fine by storage arrays internal
volume managers.

My opinions, anyway.
So subject to frequent oscillations ;)

Regards,