[dm-devel] IO error on DM device

Murthy, Narasimha Doraswamy (STSD) narasimha.murthy at hp.com
Mon Apr 3 15:05:56 UTC 2006

My comments are below.

-----Original Message-----

From: dm-devel-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:dm-devel-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Mike Christie

Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:45 PM

To: device-mapper development

Cc: Ryan O'Hara

Subject: Re: Fwd: [dm-devel] IO error on DM device

Jonathan E Brassow wrote:

>     Another observation is that we are not seeing any IO errors when
the

>     same test is executed on SLES9 SP3/SP4.

[Murthy] our other team has seen the error on SLES9 too.  The Qlogic
driver is same as RHEL ones, so we have to see similar behaviour.

I think Ryan's post is correct, but I wonder why the SLES9 is not
returning errors. Was the SLES statement referring to the scsi errors
you see in the log like this:

     Feb  1 11:47:45 apwtest52 kernel: SCSI error : <3 0 0 1> return
code

     = 0x20000

or the dm-multipath and block layer messages

Feb  1 11:48:40 apwtest52 kernel: device-mapper: dm-multipath:

     Failing path 8:32.

     Feb  1 11:48:40 apwtest52 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device dm-0,

     logical block 116940 u

or both?

Do you have the same dm-multipath settings (queue if no path, etc)?
[Murthy] yes

 Is this is the qlogic qla2xxx driver? [Murthy] yes

 Are there qlogic guys on the list that would know if there are any
differences between the SLES and RHEL drivers or are we going to have to
dig in there? Are there differences between the SLES and RHEL dm
multipath drivers? Does this occur with the upstream kernel?

dm-devel at redhat.com