[dm-devel] Buffer I/O errors

Niel Lambrechts antispam at telkomsa.net
Sun Apr 30 11:55:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a customer in a very remote location in Africa with the following
symptoms on a IBM serveRAID Linux system with dm and reiser3. I struggle
to get any info (all telephonically) but so far I have:

Buffer I/O error on dm-0
Lost page write due to I/O error
reiserfs: dm-0 journal write error in flush_commit_list

Is this necessarily h/w failure (like 2 or more disks failing in the
array), or are there other common problems related to these errors?
(perhaps cabling?)

Really, I simply need to confirm whether there could ever be a software
cause for this?

Regards
Niel