[dm-devel] failover speed

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:57:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 14:53 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi,
>  I've gotten failover and failback working, however, I'm not sure if the
> amount of wait time for the failover is reasonable. I'm using QLogic
> 2340 cards and an EVA8000. I'm curious if anyone else using something
> similar is seeing in terms of failover times.
>
> When things are running as I'd expect I'm seeing just a few seconds
> before the new path is up. When things seem wrong it's waiting and
> queueing for as much as 1.5 minutes.

Okay - I read #8 on the faq in the wiki which told me to look for \*tmo
\* files in /sys/

The problem is I'm running a 2.6.9 kernel for rhel4/centos4 and it
doesn't have those, yet.

I did, however, find these:
/sys/class/fc_transport/target1:0:0/device/1:0:0:*/timeout

which are set to 30s each.

Are these the functional equivalent of each other? Or if I set the above
down to say 6s or 3s will I encounter other types of suffering?

Thanks,
-sv