[dm-devel] Multipathd not starting up properly

Brian Geisel brian.geisel at incipient.com
Wed Aug 30 15:11:40 UTC 2006

Hey Seth,

Forewarning: While I've done multipathing for quite some time I am new
to dm, so I'm going on multipathing / SCSI knowledge more than dm
knowledge.  It is possible I may be leading you down the wrong path (no
pun intended).

That being said, I have to assume that /sbin/mpath_prio_alua is issuing
a report target ports groups (SCSI cmd) to determine ALUA priority.  You
may want to issue the "sg_rtpg" command to each of your paths and see if
that is failing anywhere.  That seems to be the rough equivalent of
sending sg_inq when a path seems to be down.

Usually path tests are done with inquiry and/or TUR.  ALUA preference
must be determined from report target port groups.  That will at least
tell you if it's something obvious like old firmware that doesn't
support ALUA (how HP does their new A/A) or a check condition.  -- not
suggesting that's the problem, just giving an example --

FWIW,
Brian