[dm-devel] default value for rr_min_io too high?

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Sat Feb 4 09:37:27 UTC 2006

On ven, 2006-02-03 at 17:33 +0100, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 05:43:24PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:41:57PM -0500, David Wysochanski wrote:
> > > I'm wondering where the value of 1000 came from, and
> >
> > Thin air.
> >
> > > whether that's really a good default.
> >
> > Unlikely.
> >
> > That's why we made it configurable - to make it easy to try out
> > different values and use whatever you find best.
> >
> I'm less and less confident we can find good figures, even for a specific workload.
> Here is another round of numbers.
>
> Is there still a plan for pluging the elevator in the devmapper device ?
> This could help us produce predictable figures (the ones admins like).

I read in the LWN article titled "Request Queues I" at
http://lwn.net/Articles/27055/ that :

"One request queue can be shared across multiple physical drives, but
the normal usage is to create a separate queue for each drive."

Is it still the case ?

Would it be better to coalesce the different paths request queues upon
multipath map load and re-split them upon unload ?