[dm-devel] Re: Hard drives shutting themselves off in RAID mode

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 11:27:12 UTC 2006

Forwarding a comment from Ricky Beam over on linux-raid:

"
Where "for some reason" == HEAT.  I've seen Maxtor, Seagate, AND Western
Digital drives all shutdown when they get too hot -- so hot you cannot
touch them.  I know this all too well because Dell is stupid or lazy
to design their cases with proper ventilation over the drives; one drive
simply gets hot, two drives get hot enough to discolor their plastic
drive sleds.

Unless you're talking about little laptop drives, hard drives need active
cooling.  A few CFM is usually enough.  A LOT of people underestimate
the cooling needs of their drives. (and sadly that includes far too many
manufacturers of IDE/SATA drive cages.)
"