[dm-devel] Multipath on STK OPENStorage D240

Philip R. Auld pauld at egenera.com
Thu May 4 12:35:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

Rumor has it that on Thu, May 04, 2006 at 09:41:20AM +0200 Guido Guenther said:
> Hi,
> when using path_checker readsector0 on the above machine the box stalls
> every 5 seconds when checking the currently nonactive path. Same for
> path_checker tur. Is there a way to avoid this? I'd consider writing a
> specific checker but am lacking any documentation.

This thing is a preferred path array. I can see how readsector0
is probably the wrong choice of checker. I imagine it causes
a cache flush from the preferred controller. Odd that the tur
checker has the same behavior. If you want to code something
you might try a checker that just does a standard INQUIRY.
I'd think that would not cause a cache flush, but then
I'd have thought that about the TUR as well... Such a checker
may be useful for other preferred path arrays.

I've got an STK array here but haven't gotten access to it
yet to run dm-multipath so I can't confirm having seen this
problem.

Cheers,

Phil

> Cheers,
>  -- Guido
>
> --

Philip R. Auld, Ph.D.  	        	       Egenera, Inc.
Software Architect                            165 Forest St.
(508) 858-2628                            Marlboro, MA 01752