[dm-devel] Usage question: how to access partitions?

David Guyon Martin david.guyonmartin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:36:52 UTC 2006

Dan Bar Dov wrote on Sun, 8 Oct 2006 19:01:00:
> After configuring multipath access to a LU, I partitioned it with fdisk.
> fdisk complained about failing to re-read the partition table,
> blockdev --rereadpt failed as well.
>
> No new devices were created for the new partitions. I guess
> there are udev rules to do that, are there?
>
> How do I get the partition to become available, what should be the
> partitions device names in /dev?

man kpartx

"This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on
specified device and create device maps over partitions segments
detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and
deletion."

More info in
www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf
search kpartx, or see page 166 ( "p158" )

David G.M.

PS: this is a text-only repost, previous mail caught by anti-spam