[dm-devel] multipath tools - 'fail to get path uid' on LUN 0 when failback

Frederic TEMPORELLI frederic.temporelli at ext.bull.net
Fri Oct 13 13:54:17 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running kernel 2.6.18 + multipath-tools 0.4.7.

Using Emulex HBA (kernel driver 8.1.9) and DDN S2A8500 disk array, multipathd
generates a 'fail to get path uid' error when failback from link down failure.
This only happen for LUN0 of the target. All the other LUNs are nicely detected
and dm are updated for these other LUNs.

attached is the multipathd log (multipathd -d -v4) and the system syslog.
=> I'm thinking that multipathd can't open the /dev/sdX related to LUN0 as soon
as the the scsi event is received. multipathd processing is delayed (until open
error is fired) then the other LUNs are processed (with sd that can be opened).
Following such issue, LUN0 can be put back in multipath configuration by running
by hand multipath command (but we lose the advantage of the multipathd
monitoring...)

Did anyone get such issue ? any idea to solve it ?
(may be a way to add a delay between event and scsi_id detection ?)

Thanks for your help.

--
Frederic TEMPORELLI