[dm-devel] Re: dm-devel : disks being taken over by dm-raid/dm at boot.

Tim Kirk kirk at ysbl.york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 13:11:44 UTC 2006

On 15 Sep 2006, at 17:00, dm-devel-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:41:54 -0400
> From: AJ Lewis <alewis at rackable.com>
> Subject: Re: [dm-devel] (no subject)
>
> Sounds like dmraid is grabbing them.  I'm not sure where the
> configuration for
> dmraid is, but that's a starting point.
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:00:06 -0400
> From: Dave Wysochanski <dave.wysochanski at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: [dm-devel] (no subject)
>
>> Surely there is some way to tell device-mapper to leave things alone?
>> I simply need four drives that I can use as four separate units - no
>> RAIDing, nothing fancy, but this it seems impossible to tell the OS
>> that...
>>
> Did you try blacklisting in /etc/multipath.conf?

Thanks AJ, Thanks Dave.

I don't think I'm using multipathing : have no /etc/multipath.conf at
all.

I thought I'd stopped dmraid, but it was still registering the drives
it seems. I simply commented the dmraid startup lines out of /etc/
rc.sysinit and everything seems to be working how I want it to now.

There must be a nicer way of telling dmraid to leave things alone,
but I couldn't find one and as this is working (and I'm not expecting
to have to put a RAID on this machine in the future) I'm not too
worried.

Cheers,

Tim