[dm-devel] Device Access Question

Edward Goggin egoggin at emc.com
Fri Sep 29 15:49:28 UTC 2006

I suggest you use the dm-multipath mapped device names instead of the
target device ones.  Otherwise, you can run into problems caused by the
fact that the cached partition table for each of the possibly multiple
target paths are not kept in synch with the partition table of the
multipath mapped device.

In this case, fdisk is failing because it attempts to read the partition
table (MBR block 0) of the disk and /dev/sdq is the passive path to the
disk.  This is correct behavior for Linux dm-multipath since it does not
attempt to provide multipathing for accesses to the target device paths,
e.g., /dev/sdq.

Also, be careful because this behavior can be intermittent since this
operation would have succeeded if this logical block was resident in the
page cache, which could happen if /dev/sdq was an active path to the
logical unit just a little while beforehand.