[dm-devel] encrypted filesystem not encrypted?

chris chris at parallelsw.com
Wed Aug 1 23:05:11 UTC 2007

Thank you both for your replies!

Thank you for the replies! I have learned a lot from this posting... I
knew to seed a looped file with random data, but had not thought about
seeding the device itself.

The basic commands that were (should have been) run were:

cryptsetup –-verbose –-verify-passphrase create sda3 /dev/sda3
pvcreate /dev/mapper/sda3
vgcreate loggroup /dev/mapper/sda3
lvcreate -L##G -n logvolume loggroup
mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/loggroup/logvolume
mount /dev/loggroup/logvolume /mount_point

I'm basically the Architect who came up with the process to run for the
company, the S/A who setup the box actually ran the commands, the ones I
delivered to him were to build out an encrypted filesystem ontop of an
existing (loop). He made a change to them to use the actual device and
they could have easily enough converted the commands to
pvcreate /dev/sda3, vgcreate loggroup /dev/sda3 and the rest doesn't
matter, nothing would be encrypted.

I think the way I can prove this (please let me know if this has faults)
is in tearing down (unmounting, and vgchange/lvchange) the filesystem
and removing the cryptsetup... At that point the LVM should not
recognize the loggroup as a valid LVM and therefore (vg/pv/lv)display
wont display anything for the subject groups.... So, I think I am
comfortable enough proving that we are (or are not) using the encryption
that way.

What I think has happened was that these devices were in fact used
previously, and we did not seed the devices with random data... I
verified that with the S/A who ran the commands to setup the box.

The only reason we were looking at sda3 was to give the testers a way to
make them feel better that the disk was in fact encrypting the data, are
there better ways to ensure the data stored on the disk is in fact
encrypted?

TIA again!

-chris